Monday, May 11, 2009

Dresses, Flowers and other girlie things

The correct wedding dress arrived and it's the perfect shade of rose pink! With it arrived Stephanie's Maid of Honor (MoH) dress - it's a magnificent dress, midnight blue with platnium embroidery and beading, I'm actually jealous of her dress!

The camera we had on hand at my Mom's house is terrible and demon-possessed. The angle the lens is pointing in is hard to gauge (and by no means close to normal center within the viewfinder!) So you get fuzzy, half peeks at what they look like. I'm almost thinking it's better this way until appropriate pictures can be taken with them on us!

My dress:
Stephanie's dress:

Alyssa, my Junior Maid of Honor and my 16 year old daughter (who I gave up in an open adoption at birth) has a beautiful indigo Purple dress which fades to a purplish-white and has rhinestones, it's in the same design as Stephanie's but not the same material. We bought it for her at Dillards at the end of prom season. A friend is making her matching jacket for me in green.
Since we are all wearing different dresses and colors, we decided the best way for cohesion (and to keep warm in Colorado's December) is to all wear the same style of jacket. My colors are Blue Green and Purple, since nobody is wearing green, we all thought having Alyssa wear a green jacket with her purple dress would do fabulously instead.


I do not have a green thumb and don't know the names of most flowers. I'm also terrible at flower arranging, I tend to create flora versions of Lovecraftian creatures by accident. Seriously, I should take pictures of Cthulu Jr and Lil Astoroth so you can all see. (These are silk flower arrangements I tried to put together for my bridal bouquet!)
This is one of the few things I'm going with a professional for, just for the wedding party.

Kathy at Sturtz and Copeland in Boulder has been a dream to work with! Below is what she's planning for my bridal party flowers.

My bridal bouquet will consist of: white oriental lilies, green cymbidium orchid blooms, purple and/or blue anemones, a touch of blue delphinium, a cascade of white and green dendrobium orchids accented with mistletoe attached to ribbons, ivy, and misc greens arranged in a basket .

My attendants will carry handtied bouquets consisting of blue and or purple anemones, green
cymbidium blooms, blue delphium, lavender freesia, burgandy dahlias framed in a mix of greenery.

Basket of mixed flowers in the same colors and feel for flowergirl.
Toss bouquet in a mix of flowers with the same colors as bridal bouquet.

I believe the guys will have either the green cymbidium orchid blooms or the white and green dendrobium orchids for their boutonniere's.

Slowly things are coming together, I've figured out how we're doing the invitations and am almost done with the writing of it. I want to have a prototype ready for the dress fitting this Saturday.

The ladies in my life are gathering to see the dresses on us and look at what projects I have for whoever wants to help out. Since I'm going almost completely homemade and recycle/reuse on the decorations, there's A Lot of projects and it's easier to have prototypes which can be picked up and looked at than to have me try to explain the visions in my head.

Ok, time to go make more sheets of paper for the invitations. Backaching work, it takes a long time to make as much paper as we need. Anyone want to help? LOL

2 comments:

  1. First of all I just want to say Thank You for sharing your journey through this. I kept thinking how lonely it was to plan/make/decide all of these details and wished that I had someone to share it with. Secondly, I think all of your event planning makes you a natural :) Everything is coming together and being realized and it's just amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEK! This is starting to make me gush all girly-like. I'm getting really excited for you!

    ReplyDelete