Thursday, May 7, 2009

Invitation Eureka

We've been reading this book which Alan and Mercedes loaned us.
It's called OffBeat Bride ~ Taffeta-Free Alternatives For Independent Brides by Ariel Meadow Stallings.

I love some of the things she says and she cusses almost like a fake sailor, plus she makes up kooky titles for things, like: a Bridentity Crisis.

Ariel talks about things like alternative invitations and programs, when the groom is more feminist than the bride, and what to do when the conservative relatives and/or well-meaning creative friends try to take over.

Some things we already have covered, others though - the ideas she has given us!

I'm designing our invitations again. I talked it over with Martin and Mom, they both think it's a good idea as long as I can pull it off. I'm going to start the process of making the first prototypes tomorrow. The first stage will take a week for each batch. I'm handmaking and dying paper for most of it. Martin's working on the background of the printable parts of the invitations (you can't really print on the paper I make, we'll use sticker paper attached to it but that means we can print a cool design around the wording.)

In addition, because we can't afford to pay for a fully catered meal for 100 people, we are instead donating the amount of food we could afford to our hosting church's favorite food bank for homeless families in need. It's not the thousands we'd spend on catering and as my Mom said: "Instead of feeding people who can feed themselves, we're giving food to those who can't."

We'll be recommending people bring more canned goods to the wedding and add to the amount we donate. Instead we have friends and family who insist on making the fingerfoods we'll be serving at the family reception and we're paying for a beginning appetizer buffet and have access for people to order their own meals (and pay for themselves) with a full restaurant menu at the friends reception.

Both of us are really in love with the idea. There have been times in the past where myself and others I know have fallen on hard times and had to utilize a food bank. This is an excellent way to give back during a global recession.

I'm really excited about these new aspects. Of course as a former event organizer, this is right up my alley. I love throwing a great party and this one is no different. I want to transform the space into a magical wonderland for everyone, but especially for us and why shouldn't we, it's our day to celebrate us.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book was so important to the wedding planning Tynan and I did. Have you used the website or joined the offbeat bride tribe ning?

    ReplyDelete