Friday, May 15, 2009

The Martha in us all

...
I was taught to be crafty as a child.
I learned how to cross stitch and make all kinds of homemade crafts through my maternal aunt and the ladies at all the churches we attended.

(My father is a Baptist Mininster who used to travel around the Midwest countryside as a temp pastor when other pastors left, died or just went on a much needed family vacation.)

I've always had an over abundance of craftiness and creative vision.
If I have all the supplies for any one project, I can do it.
From crocheting a baby blanket to building a riveted metal bar hood to creating decoupage follies.
I don't do flower arranging, unless someone wants me to accidentally summon the Elder Gods of Doom with floral voodoo dolls of them, as I've said before.

Currently I'm making at least 100 lightcatchers - prisms and glass beads in a pretty pattern on a thin wire to be hung on trees and decorations to create rainbows and sparkles everywhere.

I've taken a plain white birdcage from Oriental Trading Company and with paint, ribbon and fabric am transforming it into a faerie birdcage for all of our envelope gifts to go into. Little decoupage faeries will hang off the outside of it eventually as well.

I'm decoupaging paper mache boxes to hold old fashioned hard candies and butter mints on all the tables. I've done one as an example already.

I'm doing our invitations myself, with Martin's help - he does all the printing and editing.

I made all of the recycled paper myself, created the organic green dye for them out of spinach leaves (and a little food coloring to balance the yellow tinge out.)

I need to create one of my mini tree centerpieces tonight to bring to the dress fitting tomorrow.

I want to have at least one prototype of all the little projects which need to get done, to show them all tomorrow. I figured if I'm going to ask for help, it's only fair to present them with a hands-on example of what I'm wanting.

And tomorrow... oh man, I am so stressed out about tomorrow and the dress fittings and the schmutz of being surrounded by mostly women for an extended period of time! I hope it all works right, I have a ton of stuff to do between now and then. Not much time to do it either as I have to go to the airport to pick up Ethel and her baby girl today and a small get together tonight at 7pm to attend. Oy Vey!

Hopefully I'll remember everything. Must make a list of things I want to come with me!!
Now off to make our breakfast, get dressed and go out to find sticks for the centerpiece, then run over to hobby lobby to pick up more ribbon and the cross stitch pattern/ embroidery thread for the cake table tablecloth. I'm doing one corner and Mom wants to do the rest...

All this on allergy meds and with a cat who won't let me sleep past 9am no matter what time I go to bed. *YAWN*

No comments:

Post a Comment